Monday, April 2, 2012

Various things

1.  Hope for a regimental history of the 1st Nebraska VI remains unfulfilled, but, in early 2013, Bison Books will publish perhaps the next best thing, a comprehensive territorial history titled Standing Firmly by the Flag: Nebraska Territory and the Civil War, 1861-1867. Author James E. Potter has also co-edited the diary of 1st Nebraska soldier August Scherneckau for University of Oklahoma Press.

2.   I strive to mention when I can new book releases by historical societies that sound interesting. A Rough Business: Fighting the Civil War in Missouri (State Hist Society of Missouri, 2012) is a compilation of 14 previously published articles from their journal Missouri Historical Review.

3.  Did any fellow Mystery Science Theater 3000 fan of the classic "Time Chasers" episode notice that a recent (3/23/12) Civil War Talk Radio guest teaches at Castleton State College of Vermont?  It wasn't until long after my viewing of the movie that I learned that the chinny, Castleton t-shirt wearing protagonist was a walking (negative?) advertisement for a real college.  A "Castleton snob" Andre Fleche wasn't, but I had a little laugh to myself anyway.  I guess I should mention his book The Revolution of 1861: The American Civil War in the Age of Nationalist Conflict. It seems to have been well received.

5 comments:

  1. I never thought I'd encounter a MST3K reference on a Civil War book blog, but I admit my taste runs more to the actual movies they ridicule...I've been trying for years to convince my wife that "The Brain That Wouldn't Die" is a documentary, not a horror cheapie.

    Joel Manuel
    Baton Rouge LA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Manos: The Hands of Fate" is always trumpeted as the most painful of all the movie experiences, but I can think of dozens from the show that were far worse torture to watch.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for MST3K reference. Such a great show! Just picked up the new box set.

    I did not notice the connection the 'Time Chasers' episode had with Civil War Talk radio. What a classic episode!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quit acquiring the DVD sets at around Vol. 12 or so. They must be in the 20s by now and it's too bad Netflix doesn't keep up.

      Delete
  3. The latest box set is Vol. 23.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete

***PLEASE READ BEFORE COMMENTING***: You must SIGN YOUR NAME when submitting your comment. In order to maintain civil discourse and ease moderating duties, anonymous comments will be deleted. Comments containing outside promotions and/or product links will also be removed. Thank you for your cooperation.